BOOK COVER

BOOK COVER
CLICK ON PICTURE TO PURCHASE ON AMAZON

Saturday, September 3, 2011

HELPING YOUR CHILD COPE WITH LARGE SCALE TRAGEDY

Large scale tragedy such as 9/11 can cause strong reactions in children. It then becomes the responsibility of the adult in the child’s life to help manage anger and other trauma the child is feeling. Both parents and teacher can help young children manage their feelings by modeling healthy behavior in the presence of the child. How the child copes will heavily depend on how the adult in his or her life learns to manage their own stress or trauma. In some cases, it is better to seek professional help.

Signs of Emotional Trauma In Children:

• Significant increase in conflict with classmates or friend.
• Strained family relationships (lack of desire to participate in normal family routines).
• Significant decrease in school performance.
• Repeated nightmares and reporting strong fears of death, violence, etc.
• Low self-esteem

One of the best things you can do for your child is to spend quality time with him or her. Acting as if the problem does not exist will make the situation worst. I wrote the short story “My Birthday is September Eleven” in the hopes of showing with strong family support all children can overcome bad situations. This is what a psychologist had to say about my book:

As a licensed psychologist with a specialty in children, parents often ask me to direct them to a book that they can read with their children. I have no problem sending parents to My Birthday is September Eleven and Other Short Stories. In this book, you will find stories about children with real-life struggles and how they find ways to cope with those problems. These stories present opportunities for parents and children to talk about what is happening in their own lives and possible solutions, while strengthening parent-child communication.

Remember most schools have a psychologist on staff if your child needs to talk to a professional. Be sure to take advantage of this free resource.

19 comments:

  1. To be honest, I hadn't thought about how large scale tragedy effected the kids. Something to think more about in the future. We always talked about the events but after that, unless they brought it up again, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog.....new fan luv mare
    http://mare-itsjustmebeingme.blogspot.com/2011/09/sunday-funday-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your new blog! Important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,
    I'm sure this book will bring comfort to many people whose birthday is 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, I see my good friends Barb and J Aday are friends of yours!
    I just found your blog from the monday blog hop.
    I am following you!
    The book looks like it will be a great resource for many in need of comfort.

    http://pmaynardwrites.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-memories-software-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam & Barbara,

    Yes! I wrote the book with the intent of it being a comfort to all children born on 9/11. Even though, it is a somber topic but the books shows how one can prevail in any dark situation. Thanks for your input and support.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to all who have so far joined my blog, I appreciate the support. Have a great holiday week-end.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent article, Nicole. What I think is a shame is how easily kids who were not directly impacted by these events forget them. Not that an event like this should take over their lives, but when I mentioned 9/11 to my girls recently, they had no idea what I was talking about. I felt a bit guilty, since it is so important to our history.

    I look forward to reading your new book.

    All my best,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl,

    Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your unrelenting support of me.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I’m blog hopping today and I am following your blog. Please stop by and say hi. If you’re ever interested in a blog makeover please let me know. Take a look at my portfolio and packages when you get a chance. I hope you are having a Sweet Week.

    April
    A Mommy’s Blog Design Studio
    Blog Hops Everyday
    Review and Giveaway Blog Directory

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the follow on 2 is purrfect! Following you back and what a great blog you have! Great cause! I never thought about it but i rejoice on 9-10 cause its my anniversary. So sad to think of all the people who mourn on 9-11 because of the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have any children, but calmness on the part of the parents seems one good way to get children to handle tragedies. Hysteria begets hysteria.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!!! I'm stopping by and following from Follow Me Back Tuesday. I hope you'll check out my blog Frazzled Mama at http://frazzled-mama.com and follow me back.

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds like it will be a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...sounds very intense, but it's good there's something like this out there. 9/11 affected different people in different ways...kids included.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and your book sounds like it is a valuable tool to help children through traumatic events.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great information!

    New follower from Wednesday's blog hop! gotomommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete