BOOK COVER

BOOK COVER
CLICK ON PICTURE TO PURCHASE ON AMAZON

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Creating a Culture of Giving in the Home




You can talk about charity all day long but what your children will really notice is what you do to make the world a better place.  I believe children learn by example.  The best place for children to learn about giving is in the home. If they see you giving back, they too will develop a spirit of giving.

In my opinion, you must start with small projects and you must allow your child to take an active part in the giving.  For example, you can start by having your child help you prepare bag lunches for a local women shelter.  You and your child can deliver the bag lunches.

If you have a children’s hospital near you, you and your child can drop off toys and books.   The hospitals are always in need of new books and toys. 

Do you have elderly people that live nearby?  This is another great opportunity to teach your child about giving.
The two of you can bake cookies or even cook a simple meal and deliver it to the elderly neighbor.

Local schools always have food drive for the poor.  Make a big deal out of this, take your child shopping, and have him/her pick out the foods. 

Whatever you decide to do be sure to make the Project “Relatable.”  The more the child can relate strongly to the project the better. Children should not be forced to participate in a project.    The 2010 Haitian earthquake prompted many schools to participate in fundraisers. Locally in Denver, my students raised a lot of money.  They came up with the idea on their own because they wanted to help.

As a Haitian American, I decided to donate all proceeds from my book sales to Haiti relief.  This is an ongoing project, because I believe Haiti still needs help before recovering fully from the 2010 earthquake.  

Creating a culture of giving in the home is not too difficult.  Every family is different; you must find what works better for your family.   Donating my book proceeds prove to be the best way for me to give.  I am accomplishing two goals:  I am helping my native homeland and providing books for children to read.   I derive great joy when I get a positive response from a reader.  My life is great, and I want to share my blessings with the less fortunate.

7 comments:

  1. That is great. Both my children volunteer. And my son who is younger likes to visit at the retirement home. Play bingo and do crafts with some of his elderly friends once a month. My daughter also, likes to help with reading and working in yards. I give to pantries, and so on, but I still have a big stack of books to share with more children. You are doing something good. Bless you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from ALoha Hop! Following you GFC! Love for you to follow back when you get a chance. Have a great weekend!

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you from the hop. Following via google friend and fb! Would love follows back.

    Www.cumminslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I found you on the Mom's Mingle! Happy to be your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I'm Shar a new follower from the blog hop! Come visit me back over at: http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

    xoxo -Shar

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower as well! I would love if you followed back at I Heart Pears

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete